1. Is there an application deadline?
a. Answer: The submission deadline is March 10th at 11:59pm, EST. Applications received after the 10th will not be considered. For more information on how to apply visit the Nathan Cummings Foundation Fellowship guidelines page.
2. Will the Nathan Cummings Foundation consider fellowship proposals that do not fall with in the new program areas and approaches?
a. Answer: No. The Foundation will ONLY consider applications that address our core program areas of Inequality and Climate Change and use at least one approach to address their issue. Please Note: Applications submitted that address NCF five former core program areas will not be considered.
3. Do I need to answer all of the questions in the application form?
a. Answer: Yes, answering all of the questions in the application form allows each reader to assess whether the candidate is a “good fit” for the fellowship program. If you are proposing an existing piece of work, please revise documents to answer our specific questions.
4. Is the residency requirement mandatory?
a. Answer: Yes. Interested applicants must be available to live in New York City as part of the acceptance of the fellowship term.
5. What font and line spacing should I use for the application? Can I include charts in my narrative?
a. Answer: Please use standard font, line spacing and margins: 12-point font; 1.5 or 2 line spacing; and standard margins.
6. What letters of recommendation should I submit? Do you want references to email you directly?
a. Answer: Do Not submit letters of recommendation or ask references to email us directly. Please complete the Application and we will contact you at the appropriate time if additional reference material is required.
7. Can I provide supplementary materials with my application, such as a dissertation, article or video?
a. Answer: Please do not provide supplementary materials with the application. If you become a finalist, then we may contact you to attain additional materials at that time.
8. How long is the review process?
a. Answer: The deadline for application submissions is March 12, 2014. Finalists will be identified in mid-April, and three Fellows will be selected at the NCF June Board Meeting. The Fellowship term will begin on August 1, 2014
9. What does the $100,000 provided by the Fellowship cover?
a. Answer: The fellowship stipend covers living expenses, travel, research, and conference fees.
10. What expenses are NOT covered by the NCF Fellowship stipend?
a. Answer: The NCF Fellowship stipend does NOT cover taxes due on the fellowship grant, medical insurance, and apartment brokers.
11. When will the NCF Fellowship term begin?
a. Answer: Fellows selected in the spring of 2014 will begin a twelve- month term in July 2014.
12. What can Fellows expect during their residency?
a. Answer: Office space and resources: including a computer, telephone, email, fax, and printer, access to the NCF boardroom and Atrium, and one-on-one support from the Fellowship Program Officer.
13. Would fellows work every day at the office?
a. Answer: The fellowship requires a yearlong commitment to work in the NCF office at 475 Tenth Avenue. It is advisable to live within commuting distance of New York City. However, Fellows will create their own schedule and determine the travel schedule that best allows them to accomplish the goals of their fellowship.
14. Can compensation be used to hire contractors for the project?
a. Answer: Budget specifics will be negotiated with fellowship finalists.
15. Do fellows have access to NCF benefits?
a. Answer: The Foundation does NOT provide health insurance or other fringe benefits to fellows.
16. Is there an opportunity to continue at the Nathan Cummings Foundation after the fellowship?
a. Answer: The fellowship does not lead to a paid position at the Nathan Cummings Foundation after the yearlong fellowship term is completed.
17. What kind of support can fellows expect after the twelve-month term?
a. Answer: Fellows will have access to the NCF staff, network of grantees, fellowship alumni network, and use of the NCF board room and atrium space up to two times per year.
18. What obligations will the Fellowship recipient have to the Nathan Cummings Foundation?
a. Answer: The primary responsibility of the Fellowship recipient will be to develop the various aspects of his or her project; host a meeting at NCF on the project topic; and produce content for the NCF website. The Fellowship recipient will also be considered an integral member of the NCF team and will be expected to participate in full – staff meetings and other Foundation-wide events as their schedule permits.
19. Will the Fellows be able to work with NCF grantee organizations if it relates to their fellowship project?
a. Answer: Yes. Fellows will be able to partner with NCF grantees as long as the project is mutually beneficial to our grantee partner and is not unduly burdensome. Each Fellow will work closely with the Program Officer to determine the best way to make those connections.
20. Who should I contact if I have questions that were not addressed in the FAQ section?
a. Answer: All questions should be directed to the Fellowship Program Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org